Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Paul Thomas Anderson

After watching the short film, Cigarettes and Coffee by Paul Thomas Anderson, I didn’t know he directed Boogie Nights so I decided to watch that since I’ve heard of it but never seen it before… and boy, I did not expect that. After that, I watched There Will Be Blood featuring the dude from Gangs of New York. My first impression of Paul Thomas Anderson is that he is a very talented director who is able to make a movie out of any topic really. What made his films stand out from others is his ability to make things interesting through presentation and playing with human emotion. In Boogie Nights, I did not expect the main protagonist to be about a dude who is well endowed and for me to feel bad for him when his mom kicks him out. Anderson keeps it very clear with visual narrative as I noticed in all three films. The visual clues and context made it easy to understand what was going on in the opening sequences of Anderson’s work. There is also a good blend of different shot types to keep it new and refreshing.


His name is similar to another great director, Wes Anderson, which I talked about earlier this semester. After analyzing both directors, I noticed some similarities and differences between them. Compared to Wes Anderson, his style is slower paced version because he heavily relies on the actor’s performance to persuade the audience (And not shot in one-point perspective). Some similarities are the use of long take shots and compositional planning. In my opinion, I prefer P.T. Anderson better because his style and more intense and interesting to watch.



No comments:

Post a Comment